alchemia: (Default)
[personal profile] alchemia
My wife is nearly housebound due to MS and other illnesses; is on Medicaid/medicare. There is a service that sends DRs to the house. For the past several months, the Dr we have had has been verbally abusive, doesn't listen to her, demands her aide dog is not in the house, and even then, refuses to treat her. Her health has seriously deteriorated during this time. Does that count as "malpractice" or something else? The company they work for takes the side of the Drs. What legal recourses do we have? We are in Illinois.

ETA: We have asked for different drs and they claim to send them out but they never came. Or they came and so were very very very quiet that our dogs didn't even hear them to alert us (and they alert us to things we don't even hear at the other end of the block, so I doubt that).

Date: 2014-01-06 06:21 pm (UTC)
judith_s: (Default)
From: [personal profile] judith_s
Here via copperbadge.

It doesn't count as malpractice to be a dick, but if they are not properly treating her it may be. However, the correct way to respond is to file a complaint through the Medicare system.

Regarding the different doctors, in particular, if they are claiming people are coming out, I'm betting they are billing Medicaid for visits that aren't happening. So document what they tell you, every visit & every interaction.

Date: 2014-01-07 12:46 am (UTC)
drgaellon: (Default)
From: [personal profile] drgaellon
Malpractice requires an actual deviation from the standard of care. He is behaving unethically, but not committing malpractice. Refusal to treat is patient abandonment and can result in the loss of his license. If his employer won't listen, you can generally file a complaint directly with the licensing agency in your state, which appears to be the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. You can file a complaint at

Date: 2014-01-30 01:51 am (UTC)
nettlebend: A cup of nettle tea (Default)
From: [personal profile] nettlebend
Do any of your local tv stations have a consumer advocate reporter, or someone who specializes in solving problems with business or government?
Check your local news stations websites if none spring to mind/ most major cities have several associated w TV or radio stations.

Date: 2014-01-04 02:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
My instinct would be to call the AMA - that's the regulating board for dr's and they should be able to help you find a doctor that ISN'T verbally abusive or unreasonable about her aid dog. Refusing to treat her might be the starting point of a discussion with the AMA.

There's a Medical Board in each state, This is the California version ( - but there's one in every state and the process should be somewhat similar.
Here's the Directory of State Medical Boards ( - that should give you start.


alchemia: (Default)

June 2017

4567 8 910
18 1920212223 24

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jun. 29th, 2017 12:17 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios